Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Friends...I live in my 2005, 31' Jaco Designer Fifth

Customer Question

Hello Friends...I live in my 2005, 31' Jaco Designer Fifth Wheel, and am compleating an extensive interior remodel. I have two questions:
1. There are three slide outs...the main slide out (living area) is sagging, causing an uneaven interior service.service. The person that is doing my mechanical work is a certified auto mechanic. How should I handle?
2. I have yet to begin on the exterior of my RV. I beleive the exterior is gelcoat, and is fading. I would like to return the finish, removing some of the factory striping. How should I proceed.
I understand the RV is not worth all of the money I am putting into it...but neither was 55 Chevy?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

I would really make sure that the person working on the RV has some type of knowledge working with RV's. It sounds like the floor in the slide-room will need to be replaced or extra support added to prevent the sagging., I would pull up the floor covering and inspect for any water damage, sometimes when you have water damage it can cause the floor to sag. You might be able to overlay the flooring as well to make it sturdier.

2... IF you want to remove any of the striping then you can use a striping wheel, 3M makes them and they work pretty good, another way would be to get it off would be heating the striping up and then using a flat razor blade, adhesive cleaner will also help some, Click HERE to see the wheel that 3M has. After that there are many marine type gel coat restorers that you can use. 3 M makes one that works pretty good.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Robert...we just replaced the floor covering...the sub flooring is free from rot and is solid. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

OK

SO are you saying the floor is sagging or when the room is extended it is not level?

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks....I'll send you a pic tomorrow. My description is not very clear.Wayne
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Have a great evening... Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am sick and have not been able to do any work.... My problem has not been resolved. Please send me a phone number where I can talk with your accounting folks.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

IF you would like a refund please let me know as I can request that for you, click HERE for customer....

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Robert...this is Wayne Johnson. I am very sorry that I did not follow up with you. You put forth a great effort to help me...and I did not respond. My bad. My health comes and goes...hopefully I have got things strightned. My understanding is that I can ask questions as long as the subject is similiar. But I can't afford any additional charges. Please let me know if their are any additional charges. Here are my questions.
-I'm taking my fifth wheel to the shop to get the slide out epaired.
-During the remodelong, I would like to install additional 12V lighting in some of the storage cabinets. My question is;
-do I need some sort of transformer, or can I wire into the existing 12V lighting.
-Also, I'm wanting to replace the current light switches. Where is the best place to shop?
-How do dimmable or reoistat light switches work with 12V.-I am hoping to spruce up the exterior. Is it possible to buff the exterior like you do a boat?Thank you for helping me.Wayne
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

NO additional charges, all I ask is for you to select a rating, when you do this I get credit.

It would be best if you wire into the fuse panel, hard for me to say if everything would work tapping into the current wiring for the lights, you could draw to many amps if you add to many lights in the cabinets. I would run the wiring to the fuse panel, many times you will have a blank spot for a fuse, I would see what the other lighting is rated at and use that same rated amp fuse.

I only know a little on the dimmable lights and they normally only work good with LED lights, you can get a 12 volt controller to make that work, click HERE for that. So you would just replace that with the switch but you would need LED lighting for it to work properly.

Yes if you have fiberglass siding it would be like doing a boat, same method for buffing......

Hope this helps some, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.....

Robert