Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have to manually retract awning will not retract automaticallyJA:

Customer Question

I have to manually retract awning will not retract automatically
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: awning will not retract automatically
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: retracting manually
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** is the Year, Make and Model of the RV? Who is the manufacturer of the awning and is it a power awning? Thanks, Robert
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is a power awning?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
A power awning is an electric awning that has a switch inside, a manual awning is an awning that you pull down with a strap outside. Robert
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Grandcruiser caravan 2012 . The manufacturer is Carefree. It is not a power awning. Thanks Ash.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Grandcruiser caravan 2012. Carefree awning. It is not a power awning.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
IF the awning will not retract and it is a manually awning you might have a busted tension (torsion) spring, you should be able to push the arms in with two people and then zip tie the awning arms so you can travel, I would put two zip ties at the bottom, middle and top on each awning arm. IF that is not possible then you would need to pull the arms from the awning but they could be under tension so you would need a firm grip and have someone holding the awning tube in the center. IF you got to carefree's web site you might be able to get some info on this, they used to list all the different awnings and have manuals, you can see how the tension is put on the arms... Robert
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It will retract but you have to use your hands to turn it.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
Yes inside is a torsion spring and if that failed you would have no tension and it would not snap back or run back in. I would take a look at Carefrees site and see if you can spot your awning they have about a dozen different models but they all work the same with the torsion springs, I might consider having a RV shop take a look at this as they would be able to tell if the spring is bad or it just needs more tension, since the awning is under tension or should be you need to be very careful when you seperate the arm from the roller tube, the spring sits inside the tube, some will have one on both sides others on one side. Robert