Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a motorhome with an Onan generator. The generator runs,

Customer Question

I have a motorhome with an Onan generator. The generator runs, but the 110 electrical appliances all stopped working. The low voltage systems all work. Has the converter gone bad? Mine is a Intelli Power 9100 Power Converter.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
The converter just controls the battery charging. If the appliances all have a 12 VDC control board AND the battery(s) are toast, then this is possible. It can be easily tested with a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores. About $20 or so and easy to use. I can direct you in that. A good converter puts out about 13.7 VDC. Let me know when you are ready to test. All follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maybe I am in left field with the converter. What would make it so the generator runs, but all 110 appliance do not work, but all low voltage lights work>?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Everything worked until this evening.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
The breaker on the generator may have tripped. It can be a battery failed and blew the fuses on the charger. If your battery(s) are over 3 years old there is a good chance they need replacing. Load testing is the only way to really tell. Having a small digital multimeter would really be helpful here.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?