gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have an Onan 5500

Customer Question

I have an Onan 5500 propane generator. It is flashing a 33 code. Not generating any power
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this. 1. What is the model number of the genset?2. There is no code 33 on a gaseous fueled unit. What you are seeing is a code 3 - which is a service indicator. I need to know what the real fault code is.Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will startflashing.If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediatelyrelease 'Stop' one more time.This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for(X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.This will be the Fault Code.Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the lightvery carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all inorder, and then start over again. Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (singledigit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.There is a 1 second pausebetween digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of22.If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2. What Fault Code are you getting?.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fault code is 45
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not paying for a phone call. The slow response time is a problem
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, but I work 2 jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings. I simply can't be online 24/7. You still didn't get me the model number of the genset. If I don't know which one you have, I can't help.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I gave you the 5500 Onan. And the code of 45. Your response time is not acceptable. I realize you aren't available 24/7. I could not wait 12 hrs. I would like to get a refund
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.
Onan has made many models of gensets that are 5500. I have no idea which one you have without the model number.I have put you in for a refund.