Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

How do you dewinterize a 2005 Sunnybrook 5th wheel 32ft ca

Customer Question

How do you dewinterize a 2005 Sunnybrook 5th wheel 32ft camper
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Hook up the hose to your fresh water outlet and flush the antifreeze out of the system (if that was used) and let the taps run until they clear up and have no foam. Then turn the valve(s) on the back of the water heater to the "use" position and flush out the water heater and then replace the drain plug (if it was out) or the anode rod. I would put about a gallon of white vinegar in the fresh water tank and add a few gallons of water and then run the pump, instead of the fresh water (take that off first) and then after you flush out all the taps including the outside shower (if it has one) you can drain out any residue from the tank and then fill it with fresh water and flush again. I would clean the waste tanks with some Happy Camper Extreme Cleaner (unless you cleaned them in the fall) and you should be ready to go. Obviously, you would have had to re-connect the battery(s) if you had them out first. Some take them out and some don't. Check the water levels and add some distilled water if they are low. Clean the terminals if they are dirty. Check for any wasps nests in the A/C by removing the cover there. Clean the air filter on that if it needs cleaning. Check the operation of all the other appliances. Clean the fridge flue if it needs it. If there is an ice maker, then reconnect that as well and turn the line back on. I would get a small digital multimeter to check the output voltage at the battery(s) and be sure that is showing about 13.7 VDC. Lubricate any slides on the rails and seals with Thetford lubricants for thos items. Check the roof sealing for cracks and repair those if needed. If that's needed, we can address those issues in another question. That is pretty much how it is done. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more input as all follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Which one do we hook up too? Top left or bottom right
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
If you need more help with the winterizing valves let me know. There may be one, two or three of them on the rear of the water heater. OR some may not have any. Don't plug in the shore power cord until you have the water system filled, unless you are sure that the AC switch (if it has one) is off.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Bottom one...........the other is for flushing the black tank. Don't use that unless the dump valve is open.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
IF you have a Suburban water heater there will be an outside "on/off" switch for the water heater for AC use (if you have that model) that needs to be turned back on AFTER you fill the water heater up with fresh water again. There is usually one on the inside as well that looks like a light switch. Atwood water heaters usually have one for both on the wall.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's an Atwood
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Be sure that the fridge is level at all times. Only 3 degrees out of level allowed! It can ruin the cooling unit if you don't watch that!
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
The model number tells you which version you have. I am attaching a link to the Atwood Water Heater manual. Print out a copy so you have it. Lots of good information in there. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The tag on the top one says "potable"
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Water inlet?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
The one you have open to the left of the flush hose hookup is for filling the water tank. The lower one is for using city water.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Check the operation of the levels on the panel. Don't overfill any of the tanks!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
These are the only valves we have found for the water heater.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is the panel we found
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
The winterizing valves are on the rear of the water heater. Those others look like a drain valve on the left and I can't tell where the other one goes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is another look
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
The one on the right is the feed from the water tank I think to the pump.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Open all of these 3 valves?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Close the one on the line with both red and white line. Leave all the others open on the rear there.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Isn't the water heater the last thing we flush out?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Yes......The drain plug is that white one on the front of the water heater. Take it out to flush it. Get a spare as they have a short life.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should we now turn on the faucets in the kitchen and bath and outside shower? The turn on our water source?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Yes, one at a time and run until clear......... and IF the didn't use RV antifreeze for winterizing, there is a good chance there may be damage to the pump and toilet valve as they don't drain well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it has RV antifreeze
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Good........run until the water stops foaming.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What about this water filter? Should it be replaced? Will it have antifreeze in it?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Yes.........those should be new every year. Always take it off before winterizing if you plan on saving it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think this is the slicker for the water from the filter
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
It would come from the tap on the right as a rule.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have all the cold water lines completed. Now run the hot water lines?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Yes.......and then do the water heater. Once you flush the system you put the valve back and flush the water heater.....unless you did that with the cold side. The main thing is you want to flush the water heater before using it. Fill it up and then turn it on. Be sure you run the hot water tap to get all the air out of the lines.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do we drain the water holding tank for the non-city water? From the outside?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for all the questions. We really don't know how to do any of this prep stuff
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
There should be a drain on the end of the tank, but some do have a drain valve on the bottom. You might want to enlist the services of a local tech to come out and give you a short course on how everything works.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Just checking back to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me?