Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My Waeco CFX40 runs fine on 240 volts or on 12v when connected

Customer Question

My Waeco CFX40 runs fine on 240 volts or on 12v when connected through the anderson plug to the car but cuts out after a short while on straight 12volt from the separate camper trailer battery. Not sure what is causing this?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I suspect that you are just drawing the battery down too much and the working threshold for this is reached and it just shuts down to protect the compressor. Low voltage causes higher amperage and that creates heat in the circuits and tends to burn up motors and things. If you have some solar panels that can put power back into the battery(s) then that would help. More than one battery would also help and the more amp hours capacity the better. Two 6 VDC golf cart batteries hooked up in series to create one 12 VDC "unit" would give you about 1/3 more amp hours than two 27 series 12 VDC batteries. There are portable solar kits that would help here as well. The longer you want to run this on those the more you need. That unit sucks up power pretty quickly. Hope that explains this but, if you need more input, please get back to me as all follow ups are included in our fee. Thanks for bringing your question to Just Answer........it was a good one!
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this or do you still need some additional input from me here?