Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I'm Tim. Got hot water flowing to faucet when tap is turned

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Tim. Got hot water flowing to faucet when tap is turned on, but WH makes a screeching noise. When tap is turned to cold only, noise stops. Sounds like a bad valve at hot water outlet.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Other than the screech noise doesn't seem to be any other problem. Water is hot & flowing. I took the old brass valve off and found black o-ring between the pex elbow and the inside of the check valve.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — RV Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
That sounds like a sticking byflow valve on the hot line...........they get gummed up with calcium deposits and do this until they jam up and quit. Not expensive or too hard to replace. Turn the water heater off and allow the water to cool and then open up the PTR valve and allow the pressure to be released. If you open up the drain first you are going to get really wet! Then take the line lose on the hot line (upper line) and remove the valve. I would get one that is brass if this one is plastic. IF you have a brass one now, you can usually clean it in something like LimeAway or hot white vinegar. Put some liquid Teflon on there before you put it back in and then re-attach the water line after you inspect the gasket. Then refill the water heater and you should be good to go. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee. IF you have an XL model with a flow mix valve, then get back too me as this would change my answer slightly.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
That should read "XT" model by Atwood.........
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks it's Atwood 6GA8E. I did already remove this valve (brass with plastic guts) from the hot water output. There was a very small amount of scale but I did find an unseated? black o-ring between the valve outlet and the pex water line elbow fitting. Should that have been secured somewhere within the plastic fitting? FYI I did buy a replacement valve but I don't see an o-ring inside the new one. Please advise, thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
That is part of the seal I suspect...........I usually replace the fitting when I do this at my shop with new FlairIt fittings. Most shops sell them and easy to install. You don't need a band crimper to put them on.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm still unsure so I found a pic to help clarify. Attached is a pic of a disassembled brass valve "similar" to the one I just took off. In the pic you can see the black o-ring underneath the plastic fitting. On my old valve I found this o-ring above the plastic fitting. And then to confuse me more the identical new valve I bought doesn't even have a black o-ring. Can you help clarify?
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
Time for a new valve............those aren't supposed to come apart.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't think you are reading my comments. No, this is NOT my valve, I realize they are not supposed to be in pieces. This is a pic of a SIMILAR valve to show you the black o-ring in question. If you can't answer can you repost so I can find someone that knows? Thank you
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
You said you "found a black ring" and that isn't supposed to come off...........I have about 5 questions going at one time and have to cut to the chase. If you found any of this is defective. End of story.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
You could have saved money and time by just replacing the valve............
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I follow and if the o-ring came off the old one it would make a screeching noise as the water is getting by the seal. The plastic ones can be a bit different from the brass ones but work on the same principal. What I would do is blow both ways through the check valve, if you can only blow one way (should have arrows on it) and not the other way at all the check valve is good and I would install it. If it had a seal and it was not installed then you would be able to blow through it both ways. IF you have an outdoor sprayer make sure the valves are shut, I have seen some strange things happen with the water pressure if they are opened up. I think I know the style check valve you are talking about and do not recall seeing a seal.... Robert