Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a 2000 Brave, 26 footer. It leaked inside at

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2000 Brave, 26 footer. It leaked inside at the point where the fiberglass roof goes behind the guttering strip. I have resealed the front cap on top and down the sides. But it still leaks inside at the point where the square tubing touches the ceiling. I have no idea where the water could be getting in with all the sealing I have done outside. Do you have any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
What kind of sealer did you use?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I used dicor lap sealant 501LSW after I washed scrubbed the areas. I covered all the old areas to get complete coverage.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
That is the correct product. Did you inspect all the seams and around the vents and tv antenna? Skylights are leakers for sure. Be sure that the A/C(s) aren't loose and leaking around the base gasket. They do have to be snugged down from time to time. The drip rail may be holding water and leaking through the screws. You may have to remove those and put in larger diameter screws. Awning arm bolts can leak if not tight and sealed. Those would be the places to check.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have checked the vents and sealed them even though they did not have any cracking. Everything seems to be good. You called something a 'drip rail'. If you mean the guttering/awning rail, that has no exposed screws, they are all under the fiberglass roof that goes behind the guttering covering all screws that lock the roof to the side walls. The water/leaking only comes fro the very edge of the wall in the front where the wall and celling come together. There is no other water damage/water stains along the walls, etc. So it is strange where the water is coming in at. I did not want to spot seal--so I covered all the old sealant on to fresh fiberglass.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
It can be leaking almost anywhere and running to the lowest point and seam with is usually at a vent or where the wall and ceiling meet. Have you tightened up the A/C(s) lately? Are both ends sealed on the rail?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The AC seems to be sealed--no movement. I thought to it could be running down hill, but nothing else is wet or stained along the walls. Rest of the fiberglass roof looks in good shape. I used to build hand laid race boats 28 footers. So I'm good with glass. But I see nothing wrong with the glass. I was hoping others had the same problem like mine. I've checked the end caps, etc. We had rain last night and still leaked in the same spot on the drivers side. The end caps look good.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.
IF it is still leaking, you missed something...........hard to see this from where I sit. All I can tell is to check those areas I told you were suspect. You are using the correct product and if you removed the old loose seal and cleaned this good then it should seal it up.