Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I bought an old motorhome afew years ago that has never had

Customer Question

I bought an old motorhome afew years ago that has never had inside power when not connected to shore power or generator ie... the battery is not powering inside lights and such. I was told when I got it that the problem may lie inside the converter, that the relay wasnt switching to allow the battery power inside. The converter keeps the battery well charged, it turns the generator just fine. Should I upgrade the converter to fix the problem?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** would replace the converter and it should take care of your issue. This model is obsolete and the best replacements would be Parallax 8345 OR a Progressive dynamics PD 4645. I would also go to the battery and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped, below is a picture, most have a small tab on them when they pop out as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and could be on the frame. To test you would measure voltage on each post to chassis ground and it should be close. IF one side has voltage much higher then I would replace it, sometimes they stick one on the converter cable to the battery. Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert