Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a 1990 Servel Dometic refrig that works great on 110volts

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Servel Dometic refrig that works great on 110volts but when I switch to gas the flame will not stay lit. The flame will light and stay on approx 1 minute then goes out a minute later it will relight. I do have a nice blue flame and can hear the valve working. I have replaced the flame sensor and also the ignitor board but that did not help. Tech savvy not refrig savvy
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Is the flame a "soft flame" or a "robust" flame would you say?
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
The reason for asking that is that you may not be getting enough heat to the thermocouple. This sounds like that may be the problem OR the thermocouple may be bad and need replacing. You can test that with a Bunsen torch and a digital multimeter capable of reading millivolts. A good thermocouple should read at least 19 millivolts with a hot flame applied to the tip where the burner flame would heat it. You would disconnect the leads from the board and test across them. I am adding a copy of the Service Manual which is used for this model. Print out a copy as there is a lot of great information in there. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more input from me on this as all follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not satisfied with answer , I stated in my question that I had replaced the flame sensor,this unit does not have a common thermocoupler
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Not a problem.........I will opt out and let you discuss this with another tech. There are no parts on that called a "flame sensor" so I supppose I wasn't sure what you were referring to here.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
IF you replaced the ignition board AND the high tension lead AND have the correct LP pressure at the tank regulator AND have no debris in the gas jet or burner, then this should work. The only other possibility would be a bad gas valve or one that is beginning to fail. That test will be in the manual link I gave you. I see none of our other techs offered anything, so I decided to weigh back in here.