peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

2002 airstream 30 ft land yacht built on a workhorse P 32 chassis.

Customer Question

2002 airstream 30 ft land yacht built on a workhorse P 32 chassis. I stopped the unit on the side of the road, put it in park, left it running and in the matter of a few minutes the engine shut off by itself with the key in the on position. I attempted to restart the unit, however the ignition appeared dead,no idiot lights on the dashboard and no power to the starter to turn the Engine over. I have working horn, windshield wiper, parking lights, headlights,dash lights and everything on the coach works fine, however the ignition switch when turned to the on position, allows me to take the unit out of park and put it in any gear without the need to push on the service break first. I checked the two ignition fuses under the hood on the fire wall, the auxiliary fuses, the battery fuse and the F6 ignition fuse in the lower left-hand side compartment. All fuses check out fine. There is a new battery in the unit and the fuel is about 7/8 of a tank so I have plenty of fuel and a good power source. We are broke down on WV State Route 19 about 20 miles east of interstate 79 in West Virginia in an overlook pullout area. I'm wondering if the problem is the ignition switch itself and if there is a way that I could jump around it and hotwire the unit to get it started so I could get to a RV service facility. Any suggestions or help you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you. Joe
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. This sounds like a possible fault with the electronic ignition switch itself needing replaced.I have seen these fail before in the past.I would have it tested as well as the wiring checked leading to it for any issues.If a fault is found with the wiring it will need repaired to correct this fault and if the switch is found at fault then it will need replaced.Once again I do apologize for the delay and posted as soon as I saw your question myself. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete