Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I used a telephone cable to connect a Dometic Thermostat(###) ###-####0015

Customer Question

I used a telephone cable to connect a Dometic Thermostat(###) ###-####0015 to a Dometic Electronic Controller(###) ###-####005. Did this cause damage to one or the other? Also would you have a part # ***** the correct cable?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.
Hi my name is***** doubt it cause any damage normally when you do that there is a communication fault. IT is a RJ11 cable and the polarity needs to be the same on both ends for it to work. I am very confident if you call a good RV parts store they should be able to obtain you the proper cable, most all RV techs, parts stores are aware of how the Dometic phone style cables are set up. The trick is it is a phone cable but the ends are reversed. Hope this helps some... Robert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The RJ 11 reverses the polarity. Is there a specific cable that I can get?
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.
OK correct so in the shop what we do is cut off the end and then use a special crimping tool to make the polarity correct. IF you call a local RV store they will know and should be able to obtain you one without buying the crimper. I have also seen adapters which is a tiny box that reverses the polarity so it is correct. IF you tell a shop you need the proper cable for a dometic thermostat I am sure they will know what you are talking about. Click HERE to see what the crimper looks like, you would cut the end off strip the wires and then put the connector on so the polarity is correct and then crimp on the connector... Hope this makes sense. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.
Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert