gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

My 2003 Winnebago sightseer's kwikee level best jacks did

Customer Question

My 2003 Winnebago sightseer's kwikee level best jacks did not go down while on a trip. I walked around to check things out and saw that the front left jack had fluid pouring from the foot.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The jacks will not go down all of the ATF poured out of one jack. I want to know if replacing the jack will fix things. If one bad jack will cause all the others to not go down. Want to know where to focus first.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet looking at buying a used jack
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: no it is in good working order has about 37k miles on it, I have only had it for about 6 months but from talking to the previous owner and looking over his records it seem to have been well cared for
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Could you tell if it was coming from out of the seal area on the shaft or higher up where the lines attach? It sounds like you broke a fitting or ruptured a hose and are losing fluid. And yes.......losing that much fluid will cause an issue on the other jacks as a rule. Get back to me with this information and I can direct you further.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

You may have to crawl under there with a flashlight to inspect the two hoses and where they attach to the jack. Usually, a seal only seeps and won't lose that much fluid. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fittings don't appear to be wet, but the around the ram shafts it is. Kind of hard to tell.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

How low is the reservoir for the fluid? You might want to fill it up and cycle the jacks and see if you can do that and have someone watch for where it is leaking. That might give you a clue of where to go next.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No fluid in the tank I will have to buy some extra more and give it a try.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

That must be some leak! It takes about 2 quarts for more fluid to fill that up. Use Dex-Merc or Dextron III.