gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Having cooling issues with my Travel Trailer A/C Dometic 15,000

Customer Question

Having cooling issues with my Travel Trailer A/C Dometic 15,000 BTU mfg# ***** The exhaust fan is working, the compressor comes on and works for a short time and then kicks off. I've taken the top cover off and there are no obstructions ( just one little yellow jacket wasp on duty). the inside coil appears to be unobstructed and blowing air through but i have NOT removed that sheet metal cover and examined the coil to see if it is clean. The hot side of the coil is hot to touch but the cool side is not very cold. The air temp here is in the 70's.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
Is the compressor running or not?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, the compressor is working. Also I have examined the cooling coil and it is clean
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
however the compressor works intermittantly
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
How long does it run before it shuts down? And when that happens, does the fan continue to run?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It runs for about 3 minutes and the fan continues to run after the compressor kicks off
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
Does it feel hot?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the air temp is cold when the compressor is kicked in
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a digital multimeter for taking some readings? The first thing would be to test the compressor to see what the running voltage is and the resistance between the windings.
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
It might be the run capacitor is failing and those aren't expensive. You can test that with an older style sweep meter.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's above my pay grade....I don't
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
Not hard to do.......I can direct you. A meter is about $20 or so. You might want to just get a run capacitor and replace that and see if that corrects this, but we should test the compressor as well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have a meter where do you do the test
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is the run capacitor on top of the compressor?
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
No...........on the side where the start capacitor is. Do you have a manual for this or not?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have removed what i believe to be the capacitor that you speak of....it was on the top under a plastic housing what I removed is about the size of a bottle cap and black with one lead wire and prong
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do NOT have manuals
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
That is not it.......the capacitors are in the side and have a cover over them and either black or silver and round usually.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay I think I've found it is silver with 3 sets of prongs on top about the size of a 1/2 pint flask
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
Yes.........those are the capacitors.
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a local dealer that might have them?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay...now what?
Oh, sorry I am looking for a dealer there are a bunch in the Oklahoma city area
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
Call one and see if they have a run capacitor for that model.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay, Im looking now thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.
Give them the numbers off the side if they need them. These come in a variety of sizes.