Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I have a onan 4000 generator on my rv. i have replaced the

Customer Question

i have a onan 4000 generator on my rv. i have replaced the fuel pump and doing the fuel pump test it still will not pump up gas. what controls that.
Category: RV
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 12 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.If this pump is electric, then you need to test the wiring, power and ground. If the pump is mechanical, then the cam lobe that strikes the pump arm can be worn out not allowing it to pump. If this is the case, then you should install an electric pump to eliminate major engine worm.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i basically need to know what controls the fuel pump on this generator. does it get power from the solenoid. i wanted someone that was real familier with the onan generator. not saying that your not. do you know this answer
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 12 months ago.
I don't want you to feel uncomfortable with me, so i'll opt out for you.Thanks, Ron
Expert:  Hank F. replied 12 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** a certified Onan technician, and I am going to assist you with this. What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?Onan has made many different gensets that are 4000W, and they are not all the same.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hank let me check tonight and get back with you tomorrow. thanks for your help
Expert:  Hank F. replied 12 months ago.
Not a problem.