peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

Good Morning, I have an Onan generator in my motor home, model

Customer Question

Good Morning, I have an Onan generator in my motor home, model No. 4KYFA26100P. It has been serviced regularly with oil changes every 50 hours and air filters regularly. It currently has approximately 350 hours on it. This weekend I had a hard time getting the generator started. It would turn over and when it started it would run rough and then quit. I could eventually get it started and then it would run okay, but did this consistently throughout the weekend. The generator was giving a code of 13. Am hoping that there is a simple solution to fixing the problem. I am about 35 miles from the closest repair center and can take it in if necessary, but am hoping that there is an easier answer. Thanks for your help.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. This code setting here is an under voltage code issue which will cause this fault.This can be caused by wiring issues at the generator with damaged or corroded wiring needing replaced or repaired.This may also be a fault with the brushes or slip rings.These may need to be removed and cleaned as they can develop debris or carbon causing this here.I would have this checked into to see if this is the cause or to see if the brushes need replaced as this can also be very common for this fault here.With a code like this here this can be a number of different causes but these are the most common for this fault. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete