Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a brand new Jayco trailer and the 12V system does not

Customer Question

I have a brand new Jayco trailer and the 12V system does not work from the battery.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The RV Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The battery is charged and the disconnect fuse is good, and everything works from the shore line.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Only if it is a simple problem.
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** could be an issue with the power converter or a breaker issue.The power converter will take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage when you are plugged in the converter will switch to battery power when you unplug from power. Sometimes on the cable from the converter to battery they will use a shortstop style breaker, below is a picture. Most have a tiny tab on them that pops out when they trip, as a general rule they like to stick them 18" from the battery and can be on the frame. IF you see any at all I would make sure each post has voltage on it. Beyond that the only other possible item it could be is if you have a disconnect switch inside the RV. Some RV's have a disconnect switch to isolate te power when you are not using it, most motorized units have them and they are not common in the towables. IF you have one please let me know. I would check for the breaker and if it is good OR you do not see one and this is a brand new unit I would have the dealer look at it under warranty, if there is an issue you it should be covered.IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me follow ups are included, please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a rating, you are not getting charged again when you select a rating... Robert Breaker.