gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I just bought a used RM76X1 Fridge It worked fine before the

Customer Question

I just bought a used RM76X1 Fridge It worked fine before the guy removed it from his caravan (He wanted a larger one) after that it didn't work on mains voltage (240v)
Is there a sneaky fuse hidden somewhere?
I am an old school fridge mechanic but the new generation fridge that I have is a bit scary.
I find the control switches are a bit doughy and not positive as they are rotated.
I would like to obtain instructions for the use of it so I can at least set it up to run as it should.
I would be grateful for any help.
Thank you
John Barwell
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your question, John.......can you look on the data tag and give me the whole model number? That would help and I should be able to come up with a manual and some directions on what to test and how to do that. All follow ups and exchanges are included in our fee.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Randall, I'm from Australia and the fridge is some distance from home and I have just got the info from the tag that you requested.
TYPE C40/110 PROD. NO. (###) ###-#### SER. NO. 72600029.
Mod. NO. RM7851LOther NOs CE 0063 BL3214 MAYBE MAN. DATE? in box, 07APPROVAL NO. N20462 Made in Germany *********** ACN 004 947 488
A.G.A. 3437 THAT IS ABOUT ALL ON TAG. Tried to run on gas as well, but it is dead. found fuse, that is ok
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** look that up and get back to you later today
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
When you tried running it on LP.......did the igniter work and provide spark or not?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, the whole unit is mostly electronic, taking this into account, I connected a 12v battery and the gas line plus mains power (240v} as the igniter is not a pietzo style and the gas supply is opened and closed by what appears to be a solenoid
and obviously needs power from somewhere to control it. After all my connecting up the whole system does nothing!
BOY! give me the old systems any day. Cheers, John
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
The controls are on the front. Let me get you an Operator's Manual.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
See the attached link for a manual. It is for the 8551 which is basically the same fridge, only bigger. Let me know if your controls are not the same. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Randall, I checked through the models you sent but there are none that match, mine seems to be controlled automatically with electronics after the initial setting. No pietzo ignition.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
I could not find a manual anywhere online for yours. I can get you a link to the Dometic website in your area or you might check with a local Dometic dealer and see if they can get one for you. Are you sure you got he polarity correct on the 12 VDC hookup? Are you sure this fridge was working and that he didn't just say that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I have the 12v polarity correct, there is a printed circuit board on the top behind the controls I fear there may be a problem with it????
I have tried to get help locally (In Australia} but your site was all I could find. I thought with your site having a big rap, that you would be the people to have an answer to the problem, but it's difficult without a manual.
Cheers John
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Yes, it is.........and why I suggested that perhaps Dometic there might be able to assist you on that. They list 3 locations with the following phone numbers. 61 8 9303 3555 in Wangara, 61 2 9728 6366 in South Wales, and 61 7 3205 7599 in Queensland. I have access to the parts if we can sort out the electrical issue. No spark is usually the spark module, but it might be in the control board. I'm thinking the guy you bought it from just didn't want to tell you it didn't work. Let me know if you score a manual and we can go from there. I am attaching a link to the exploded view of the parts and numbers for this. Print it out so you have it if possible.