Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Randall...ok, we need to dig deeper. We've rechecked the

Customer Question

Hi Randall...ok, we need to dig deeper. We've rechecked the lights. When we turn the headlight switch on, we've now discovered that the headlights are not coming on, but the marker lights are coming on. Then, we turn the switch back to the OFF position, but the marker lights stayed on??!! If we pull the fuse, then everything goes off. By the way, we put a new fuse in (the 30 A circuit breaker fuse), thinking that this could be the problem, but it didn't change anything. Could it be a relay (headlight/marker) and if not, how could we access the headlight switch as it is all encased within the dash. I'm not sure if I mentioned this but this is a 2005 Winnebago Journey Class A Motor Home. By the way, do you know if there is any diagram available for our Motorhome, that would tell us which relays were for the headlights etc... I can't find one online anywhere!!!
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I would contact Winnebago directly and see if they have something. IF you give me the actual model number I can look and see what I can find.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The Model is 34H
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
See the attached link from them.........http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2005/05_p-ser_wire_148569.pdf
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
And another one here............http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2005/05_p-ser_wire_148556.pdf
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I think the relays are in the Battery Control Center under the hood (if this is a gas rig)
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
And one more set.............http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2005/05_p-ser_wire_148575.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Randall, it is a diesel rig and the relays are in the Control Center under the front hood, above the generator. The schematics you sent me are not what I was asking for...I can get those from Winnebago. What I was looking for was a diagram of all of the fuses and relays that are housed in the Control Panel, so that I know which one is for the headlights/marker lights, so I can try to swap it out with a new one, like I did for the fuse !!
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I don't have access to those...........you would have to contact Freightliner.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I will opt out of the question so another tech can offer something if they might have some around.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not worried about getting the schematic...I just thought I'd ask. The wiring pics you sent me, I already found those on the Winnebago site..and they are far too complicated for the average person, so of no use at all to me. I'd like to just get back to the question at hand...what would cause the marker lights to be able to be turned on, but would prevent them from being turned off and at the same time what would cause the headlights not to come on??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So, I haven't heard from the new mechanic. Is this going to happen anytime soon, or am I going to get my money back because so far this hasn't been a very good experience?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
I gave you that the first time you asked............and you don't seem to feel that is the correct answer. The reason you haven't had another tech offer anything is that apparently, none of them have any different view than mine. I stick to my original view that the switch is the problem. You can contact Winnebago for some input and you can always ask for a refund here. I don't know what more I can share here. Electrical diagnosis is not that easy from here and it depends on the customer doing the hands on work. Sorry this hasn't worked out for you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, I expected for someone to at least tell me that since you said that you had deferred to another mechanic. Someone should have at least said that they agreed with you so that I would know that we were done!! I agree with you that it is probably the switch, or the relay associated with the switch, so that's what I'll ask my mechanic to check. Thanks for getting back to me.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
Kind of an unwritten rule here that we don't offer something if we have nothing to contribute. Sorry that wasn't clear. And you are welcome.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So, we took your advice and replaced the switch. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the problem. Still no headlights and the marker lights won't turn off. At least when we bring it in tomorrow for it's annual service, we can save the mechanic some time by telling him that we replaced the switch, so that's not the problem.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
So it may be the relay and hopefully they will know which one and can check that. Thanks for letting me know and I would appreciated hearing what it turns out to be.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I suppose it's either the relay, or there's a wire off somewhere, which will be a nightmare to find!!! I will let you know what happens. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.
You are welcome.........be safe!