Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I own a 2009 XLR 43' toy hauler. Tires on the rear axle are

Customer Question

I own a 2009 XLR 43' toy hauler. Tires on the rear axle are very close to the tires on the 2nd axle. One side they are about 3/4" apart and the other side they are about 1/2" appart. I had it to the local trailer shop and they replaced some of the shackle brackets due to the bolt holes being longated but it hasn't really made alot of improvement. Any suggestions on what to do next to try and coorect this?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Did they check the equalizers and spring bushings as well? If the holes in the shackles were elongated then there should be more wear there and that could account for this. When we do this job in my shop we check all those things and be sure that there is no excess play in any of those components. I would check the spacing on the spring hangers to be sure that those were properly installed at the factory. I have seen some sloppy welding and spacing that wasn't done correctly. Not often, but it does happen. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this. I will make a phone chat option available to you as well as some customers prefer this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The mechanics said the equalizers and spring bushings all looked tight. Spacing on the spring brackets appear to be fine. The spacing on all the axles/tires was always consistent up until just recently. Is there an alignment that could be out? Could the springs themselves be worn out? A couple of them seem pretty flat although I realize its a heavy camper (18000lbs). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

The springs may be flattening out as that is a heavy trailer. You might want to consider putting in one range higher weight rating springs and does this have zirc fittings on the equalizers or not or does this have some other kind of suspension product, like Moreryde? I would install a HD suspension package if you replace the springs as well. Dexter should make one that fits this. There will be a tag attached around the springs showing the number and that can be checked for weight rating. Attach a photo of this area to your post and I can perhaps offer more here.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?