gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I've got a 1988 Dometic RM2600 that has stopped cooling in

Customer Question

I've got a 1988 Dometic RM2600 that has stopped cooling in the refer part. Freezer still seems to be cooling ok. Have switched it over to gas with no better results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Can you see any yellowish debris around the base of the burner area? Was it operated out of level for any length of time? Get back to me with this and we can sort this out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No yellowish debris sited. I only use this RV on a permanent site. It hasn't been moved in years. The refrig has always been used on AC except for a couple of times when the power went out. It has always been level.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What we usually do is hook the heating element up so as to bypass the thermostat and see if the unit will almost freeze. That requires hooking up the heating element directly to a power cord. Is that feasible or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm very mechanically inclined so I can do whatever you suggest to do the test. I also have a good volt meter to do voltage testing as needed.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It can be a challenge to get to the ends of the heating element, so we usually cut them and install a house cord and plug it in directly to a power source. That will ask it to "max cool" and we can see if the cooling unit is good or not that way. No polarity on the leads. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have switched from gas to electric and checked the voltage going to the heater and it is 120. I turned the switch to off and the voltage is 0. Turned on again and 120 volts are back going to the heater. The heater is hot which tells me it is working. Anything else I can check? Or do I still need to wire the heater direct?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

We want to bypass the controls and so that is why we direct wire it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the two white wires the ones going to the heater?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Yes.......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is 120 volts on those wires now!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Well you have to unplug it first!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where did you go?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I have been right here........you told me there was 120 volts on those wires and I told you to unplug it first. I have seen no other posts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is already 120 volts on what good is it going to do to unplug it and put 120 volts back on it even from another source. The heater is hot as hell and working. What else could be wrong?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I can see this isn't going any place........so I will opt out and let another tech offer something.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm opting out as well. I can see you don't have a clue about troubleshooting this refig. All I can say is my credit card better not be charged a dime.