Wayne, RV Mechanic
Experience:  Work on several type of Rv engine, Trans, brakes
6825259

Brake lights have stopped working. All other tail lights operate

Customer Question

Brake lights have stopped working. All other tail lights operate fine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: rear brake lights do not illuminate when brake pedal is pressed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: actual lights operate fine as I have applied power to them
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: check fuses
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with this are they Air Brake , or Hydraulic let me know ,Please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Air
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that Ok that is a brake light switch you did not mention what Chassis F/L Ford,Work horsebut if you look at the brake pedal , follow it up to the air brake cylinder, you will see red, blue,green and yellow lines it may be under the dash or under the hood , there is a switch with 2 wires , that is the brake light switch That needs to be replaced , if you already checked the fusesHi If this helped you Please rate my answer 3 or more starIf not use the reply button, not Bad/Poor serviceThis is the only way I get Credit for the QuestionI took the time to answer you Please take the time to reply Wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spartan Chassis
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that still same instructions they are all about the same Hi If this helped you Please rate my answer 3 or more starIf not use the reply button, not Bad/Poor serviceThis is the only way I get Credit for the QuestionI took the time to answer you Please take the time to reply Wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 3 switches under there. I have already checked. How do I determine which one is the brake light switch? The other 2 have to be the actual brake actuator and then possibly the parking brake switch.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that with a test light , put the probe of lighton 1 terminal , it should d light , then go to other terminal press on the brake pedal it should light , if not the switch is faulty another way is use a jumper wire across the 2 terminals and brake lights should come on Hi If this helped you Please rate my answer 3 or more starIf not use the reply button, not Bad/Poor serviceThis is the only way I get Credit for the QuestionI took the time to answer you Please take the time to reply Wayne
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
HI Just a follow up with you Did my answer help you did you find the switch let me know