Joe
Joe, RV Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician
20245751

I have a late '03 early '04 Workhorse chassis under a Safari

Customer Question

I have a late '03 early '04 Workhorse chassis under a Safari Trek. Cruise control has quit. No fuses blown, no apparent wiring problems in the engine compartment. Trying to get into the steering column to check there but can't get covers off on left side of column, adjustable column handle in way. Any ideas about any thing to solve cruise problem?
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. If your model has a wheel speed sensor that is sending an incorrect signal this will cause this issue here and would need replaced in most cases.I have also seen the brake switch itself fail electronically causing this fault needing replaced as well.If these have not been checked/tested at all this needs done to see if either is the cause here needing replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Interesting causes, two sensors...however my cruise control does not turn on...not working from the get go. I thought possibly a ground was loose, but have checked all those around engine and all are tight. That is why I'm trying to get to the wiring associated with the CC switch on the turn signal handle, to see if the switch wiring is loose. If you could tell me how to get the plastic cover off (the steering column adjustment lever is preventing the cover from coming off) then I could eliminate one more area of problem.
Unfortunately since my info is limited here I dont have the repair info on how to get the cover off or info on the wiring as well.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** recommend that you check all the tail lights and brake lights for proper operation. You want to look for anything that could be creating feedback on the brake light circuit and causing the cruise to shut off.Also , inspect your trailer / tow light connector and wiring in the rear for possible damage or short circuits.Even a bad turn signal or tail light bulb in the rear can send feedback through the brake light circuit that will shut off the cruise control.You may also want to remove the bulbs and check the sockets for corrosion on those where a brake light shares a socket with a tail light or turn signal.If you always tow a vehicle or trailer , verify that the problem is not in the light wiring of the tow vehicle. -Joe
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Contact someone else...much more simple. The brake light switch is coupled with the cutoff for the cruise...It was out of adjustment. Pulled the connectors and turned the switch (it is screwed into the base) two turns and all is well.
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the reply, glad you were able to repair the improper brake light operation. Joe