Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel and the main slider gear

Customer Question

i have a Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel and the main slider gear box has failed twice on me in the last two years, I had a gear replaced last year and this year have had to pull it off and repalce another gear in the gear box.
The millwright i have doing the work for me has noted the gaer box and gears seem to be underrated for the size of slider it is trying to push out an d in. I find it funny as i only push in and out once a yar a my trailer stays parked all summer in one stop.
Is there an upgraded gear box for this trailer. My gaer box is a Venture M-9800B sahft size 3/4" 5/8" bolt hole sze.
Pinnacle trailwer is 42 ft and built in 2012
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

The two largest causes of this problem is either a lack of lubrication on the slide rails and wiper seals AND/OR a slide room that is not adjusted correctly so it tracks correctly. Are you measuring the distance between the outer trim and the side wall from the same height? It should be no more than 1/4" difference from one side to the other. Thetford makes a good lubricant for the rails and one for the wiper seals and bottom trim. These need to be used on a regular basis to reduce the drag on the slide room and keep the gears and motor from working overtime. I have been on this site for almost 7 years and I have only seen multiple gear replacements twice. Not a huge problem as seen from here. Get back to me with some information relating to this and I may be able to add more.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Venture is out of business and was bought out by LCI and there may be a replacement, but you may have to check with them directly as I have not personally seen that information. There is a guy at a site in Southern
California that is very good on Venture systems as he used to work for them. Try "myrvpartsplace.com" and see if he can help.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Just checking back to see how this was coming and if you were able to resolve it yet or do you still need some additional input from me here?