Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a 1977 camper with a RA/RM 100 dometic refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a 1977 camper with a RA/RM 100 dometic refrigerator that has sat idle a couple of years but was operating before that. Tried to use it again but it snaps the 110v breaker on both electric and LP operation. Gas lights off fine but once it runs a few minutes, the breaker goes. Same on electric operation. Any suggestions? I suspect the thermostat as from what I can see its the only common element to both modes. How do you check it?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Is the fridge in an RV or not? IF it is in the RV, it may not be the fridge that is doing that. On LP mode there is no reason for it to do that as there is no AC use at all. I would test the heating element if you suspect a short there, but only after you plug it into an extension cord and make sure that something else isn't to blame. I am attaching a link to a Dometic Manual which should help here. If you need help with the testing let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is in the camper. I have the manual for it also. It only trips the breaker when I attempt to use the fridge. I have left it plugged in for hours without the breaker tripping, only happens when trying to use it. It's a small camper with only a lighting circuit and no AC. I changed extension cords and house outlets to make sure it's not on my end and it continues to trip after a few minute of either ac mope or LP mode
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Then test the AC element with an ohmmeter and see if it is shorted out. OR it may be a short in the selector switch although that is pretty rare. Mice may have been at work chewing on the wiring. Check for that as well.

Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to sort this out or do you still need some additional input from me here?