gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have a norcold fefrig. it wont turn on

Customer Question

Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Nothing lights up or it comes on but won't cool?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it lights up but wont turn on. I tried the mode button to ac, auto, and LP. only ac and LP are single, when in auto it has ac also is this normal. then after about 20 seconds it lights up segment 4,5,6,7 and stays that way
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Does this have a digital readout or just lights? Any flashing when this happens?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its digital, no blinking when turned on. when turned on auto and ac light up, then about 20 seconds later it lights the bottom half of the window and stays on
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
O.K.......let me get back to you shortly with a copy of the Service Manual and direct you in some testing. That is an error message.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did a fault code check.
diagnostic screens display results#1displays all segments
#2 nothing
#3 has rectangle square inside window and blinks twice (is that suppose to show a f)
#4 nothing
#5 lights segment 1
#6 shows E then R
#7 lights up segment 1
#8 lights up segment 3
#9 lights up segment 4
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
See the attached link to the Norcold Service Manual which covers this model. Print out a copy so you have it. See page 8 for the fault codes. See the diagnostic mode screen on pages 58 and later. Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing?
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
To begin with the thermister needs to be tested. See that section of the manual. You need a multimeter and glass of ice water.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no I do not have digital multimeter
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. With that we can sort out what is wrong here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is this some thing we can do at a later time
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Bookmark this and we can come back to it later.......and I will make a phone chat option for you. Much faster over the phone.