Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Are there any dometic rv technicians available

Customer Question

are there any dometic rv technicians available
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am RV tech that has over 18 years experience working on all models including Dometic. IF I can not help you then I can put your question back up for other experts, there are others here as well.Follow ups are included, please tell me your problem and try and be detailed as it will help. Follow ups are included. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2015 Georgetown 378XLF with 2 Dometic 15BTU units. I am wanting to change out the thermostats to a 24 volt so I can install a wireless brand. My current thermo has 3 wires, 2 go into 12volt slots and yellow goes into a comm. spot. There are many other wires that are not being used. What do I need to do to make this happen?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK I am going to put your question back up for other experts, I have personally not done a conversion like this and other experts might have some better input. Experts come and go daily so I do not know when another one will. My goal is for you to have the best possible answer. No need to respond to this as it will take you off the waiting list, when an expert feels like they can help they will contact you... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
You would have to install a 24 VDC transformer if you need 24 VDC for a different brand of thermostat. All the current Dometic thermostats use 12 VDC only. You might be able to use one out of an 8900 series Atwood furnace that is a park model. That would run off 120 VAC and supply 24 VDC to where you need it. I can get you a part number if you need it and think that would work. Please let me know as all follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even after installing a transformer, I am confused about the wiring that would take place from my Dometic unit to the new Thermostat.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
It should show the wiring depending on what make and model you use. I don't know that without more information.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Please keep in mind that wireless thermostats have a lot of problems.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
And when they don't work, you have to A/C at all.....which might not be a good thing.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
That should have been "no A/C at all"
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if it can be done. I have a dometic 15btu unit on a 2015 Georgetown. I guess I would need to know what needs to be connected to transformer and then to thermostat. I can send pics of my wiring if it would help you.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
I would need to see those. Send them to***@******.***
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Did you send some photos? I don't recall seeing them..........