gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Iconnected my horse trailer to my 2002 Chev 1 ton cutaway van

Customer Question

iconnected my horse trailer to my 2002 Chev 1 ton cutaway van motorhome. All of the
lights on the mh were working but when I connected the plug from the rv to the trailer,
i lost the hazard/turn signals & stop lights. The brake controller works as does the run-
ning lights ( this on both rv/trailer). expected the fuses for items not working to be blown, but when i pulled them, they were all ok. Just to be on safe side i put new fuses in but
problem still exists. I dont use mh much -has 22K miles on it. do these components circuit thru the steering wheel? Had some other problems years ago and dealer replaced a module inside column $1,600.00 worth) thx wayne
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Something in the horse trailer isn't wired up correctly and so you blew the fuses (most likely) in the coach for those items. Check those fuses first and then get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this. A 12 VDC test light is good for testing here. About $5 at most automotive stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing.