Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

And my 1981 holiday rambler presidential will work

Customer Question

***** ***** and my 1981 holiday rambler presidential will work when the cord is plugged into the generator but not when the cord is plugged into an outlet. I need to know what I need to do to make it work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I plug the cord into the receptacle I don't have any outlet power but when I plug the cord into the place in the bumper when the generator is on I have power in receptacles
JA: OK got it. Last thing — RV Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly are you plugging it in when it doesn't work? Do you have a small digital multimeter so we can do some testing? That would help in tracking this problem down. All follow up are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have plugged it into the house 110 with an adapter and had no electricity in the outlets. When we plug it into the outlet for the generator plug the outlets work fine. I reset all the breakers in the back closet but nothing changed. I pushed the reset button but nothing happened or reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have a meter but I plugged in another appliance into the outlet and it worked. The adapter is brand new so wouldn't think it is bad
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Does this have a 30 amp (3 prongs) or a 50 amp (4 prongs) shore cord? And the adapter was from one of those to a standard 15 or 20 amp wall outlet? GFCI rated? IF SO, did that trip? Many will on an RV hookup. IF you are using an adapter on a 50 amp cord you lose 1/2 of your circuits when you do this. That may be all that is going on here.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
IF you have a small digital multimeter you can plug in the adapter and check it pretty easily.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
​About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use..........a great tool for an RVer to have.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Especially, if some of the other 120 VAC things work.........IF NONE of those things work, I would suspect the adapter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 30amp and the adapter is for a 30 amp. Not sure on GCFI. Not sure what other 120 vac things there are besides the outlets. AC works with generator
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
If there are other things...........like the fridge working on AC mode, then it can't be the adapter. IF none of the 120 VAC things work then I suspect that is bad. It happens!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fridge doesn't work anyway. So can't use that to check
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
What about the microwave?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Works with generator not plug
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Then I suspect the adapter is just defective.......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will look for another one then and see if that works
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
O.K.........get back to me if we need to dig deeper. All follow ups are included and there is no time limit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome! Thanks for bringing your question to Just Answer.