Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2001 35 ft aerbus. I am trying to tow a car. The electrical

Customer Question

I have a 2001 35 ft aerbus. I am trying to tow a car. The electrical receptacle on the back of the coach is giving me a problem. I've tried plugging in 2 different portable tow tail light sets, but having the same problem. I did try sanding the 4 pins inside of the receptacle. The problem is when i apply the brakes on the coach. only one light of the 2 light set works, when i use the directional signals, the left one light stays on, the right directional signal causes both lights to flash. When i turn on my head lights. only one light in the tow light set comes on. All the Coach back lights work correctly. I was thinking of changing out the tow 4 pin electrical receptacle which might help the problem, but can't see where its covered wiring goes after leaving the receptacle and where it ends up. Right now I'm stuck on the side of the road. Help , if you can, would be appreciated
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a 12 VDC test light? About $5 or so at most automotive stores. That would be helpful here. And is the plug on the tow portion a 4 wire plug? IF SO, you can't have brakes if that is what you are trying to do. OR are you just trying to get stop/turn signals and lights? Get back to me and I can help you sort this out.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you need some additional input from me?