Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

Pearl. I'm having electrical issues. I think it's an inverter

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I'm having electrical issues. I think it's an inverter issue
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: We bought a new battery yesterday and put it in the RV (32 travel trailer - 2 yrs old) and it was dead by morning. what happened Pearl?
JA: Anything else I can tell the RV Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: what is the cost?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the RV Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: how much is "the rest"
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** you have the trailer plugged into power? IF so are you using any adapters or extension cords?Robert Follow ups are included, we can go back and forth ass much as needed. Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, we're using the adapter that came w camper - and yes we are using an extension cord (#12)
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
OK If that is the case the power converter could be at fault HOWEVER sometimes cords and adapters can cause problems, I would advise if at all possible to plug in without any and see if the problem goes away. IF not you have an issue with the power converter. The power converter will take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage and charge the battery. SO if you plug in your should see 13.2 volts at the battery and then it should maintain around 12.5 volts. Sometimes they will put a breaker on the charge line from the converter to the battery, below is a picture, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and can be on the trailer frame. Most have a small tab on them that pops out when they trip. You should have the same voltage on each post to chassis ground. You also might have more then one.,IF the breaker is good OR you do not have one then the converter could be at fault. The converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet. Many times the stand alone units are near the breaker panel, under the stove, fridge etc... The stand alone style will have two fuses on it and want to make sure they are not blown.Hope this gives you some direction, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert Breaker..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The camper is a 2014 cross roads Sunset Trail. Once we hook up 110, everything works, but when we disconnect it, the battery goes dead.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
OK Then you need to get a volt meter, go to the battery and when you plug in check the voltage, it should be 13.2 volts, when you unplug it should maintain and you should have battery power, look for that breaker I was talking about as well. IF the voltage is low when you plug in then the converter is not working or the power source you are using is not doing a good enough job to charge the battery.Most converters will 1... Make the DC voltage when you are plugged in and 2... Charge the battery when you are plugged in. SO need to check the battery voltage plugged in, if it is low check for a tripped breaker and check the converter for a blown fuse. The converter should switch between converter power and battery power as well. Hope this helps. Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert