Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I am considering to buy a 1983 Pace Arrow diesel for $4000

Customer Question

I am considering to buy a 1983 Pace Arrow diesel for $4000 with 45,000 miles. What do I have to look for? Where do I take it for inspection (I'm in Las Vegas)? I will be buying this from the second owner meaning I will be the third owner. I want to make sure I don't buy a "lemon" as I'm planning to live and tour the country in this RV.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** know what engine and chassis is in this?Also it may take me a little time to see what the unit is worth but I will respond back....Follow ups are included... Robert
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is a 27-footer 1983 Pace Arrow
cylinders: 8 cylinders
fuel: diesel, GM engine
odometer: 43000
size / dimensions: 27ft
title status: clean (per the seller)
transmission: automatic
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
OK... Let me check into the price and I will respond back...Robert
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** wanna make sure I'm making the right decision. Where do you recommend I can take it to inspection to diagnose any issues with the engine, mechanical parts, transmission, breaks, water system, appliances etc.?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
OK You are getting a really good deal for only 4K ..I am showing average around 9-12 K. So at 4K it is is a steal if it is in good condition. if you want a full inspection including the interior items I would see what is around in Vegas, some RV shops will actually service the chassis and interior items. Sometimes that is not possible as some shops do not work on chassis items just the interior. Click HERE for one place in the area. What I would do is give them a call and they can say what they will be willing to inspect for you. IF they do not do chassis inspection some oprtions for you would be Workhorse, Cummins Coach Care, or a Freightliner shop. I worked at a Coach Care and we would do inspections on all vehicles not just Cummins.I am not sure if there are any in that area but they would be some good shops to try if they are.I would check the exhaust manifold on this make sure it is not cracked, many times you will hear a loud ticking sound when they crack. I would do a visual inspection check all the fluids, make sure they are clean and the belts and hoses are not cracked at all. The best built units can have issues if routine maintenance has not been done, I would be asking the current owner for receipts. Most owners do an annual service which is oil, oil filter, fuel filter, lube the chassis and inspect all the other fluids, belts, hoses brakes etc.For the interior I would get up on the roof and check the sealant make sure it is not black in color or cracked, if you had a water leak on the roof it would cost more then what the unit is worth. Many times when it has been leaking it will smell moldy inside and have water stains on the interior ceiling and walls.I would request to have the water tank filled, run the water and make sure nothing is leaking outside, another major bill if the plumbing system has leaks. When units sit in the cold they should be winterized.I would say if this is in top shape you are getting a very good deal but I would try an arrange for an inspection prior to purchase and make sure you go for a long test drive, make sure you get no dash warnings, it has enough power for your needs and then check for leaks after the drive.I hope this helps some, sorry for the delay was responding... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.
Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert