Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I'm ***** *****, My inverter in my 1984 prowler is making

Customer Question

Hi, I'm ***** *****, My inverter in my 1984 prowler is making a clicking sound and the lights dim slightly when it does. I'm at home on 15 amp. From what I read this may be a power draw somewhere. my pumps and lights are off. Could it be a battery issue?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Every 10 to 15 seconds the inverter in my trailer will hum slightly then click. When the lights are on they will dim a little then once it clicks they go back to regular. I have unplugged and turned off everything and it is still making the noise. I have also checked connections for tightness at the inverter and ensured the fuses are in ok.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — RV Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is***** it could be the batteries or poor battery connection. IT also could be the converter, a breaker issue OR if you are using any cords or adapters on the main cord.SO to start I would have the battery load tested and check all your battery cables make sure they are clean and tight. The converter will charge the batttery and if it was in poor condition it would be an issue. IF you are still having the same issue follow the battery cables and make sure you do not have a bad breaker, below is a picture, some are thermal so that would mean when they heat up they break contact the lights would dim and when they cool off they reset the lights would get bright. below is a picture as a general rule they like to stick them 18" from the battery and can be on the frame. If you have a volt meter and check each side to chassis ground the voltage should be the same.The power converter could also be at fault but before replacing that I would plug into a power source with NO adapters or cords. The reason being is you can have line loss and items will start to fail. Try to turn all the breakers off but the main and converter and see if you have the same issue, if not then something might be drawing to many amps for the 15 amp service, sometimes if a heating element fails in the water heater it can cause problems or another appliance, again you would know if you turn on a certain breaker and the lights start to dim.IF you unplugged and turned everything off then it sounds like the converter but I would still check everything out I mentioned.IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Follow ups are included. Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert