Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

How to tighten a Dometic slide out topper. The topper sags

Customer Question

How to tighten a Dometic slide out topper. The topper sags on the front end of the full-wall slide out of a Newmar Ventana. I just want to tighten it a little to prevent water from "pooling".
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** you have the bracket mounted to the front of the slide-room and then there is a bar coming off the awning going into the bracket?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
On each side..... IF so click HERE these can be difficult, normally what you would want to do is pin the awning on each side, the pin will go through the end cap into the torsion assembly. Then you can remove the screw or rivet holding the arm in and remove the arm, firmly hold the arm and pull the pin, it will be under tension, if you let go DO NOT try and catch it. IT will depend which side as to which way you put more tension on, but you will feel it wanting to spin so go the opposite way maybe 2 more turns at the most on each side, after you put tension on it put the pin back in so it holds it and then mount the arm back in the mounting bracket and then do the other side, pull the pins after installed. The manual will show which way to go and number of turns if you loose tension. The can be knuckle busters so if something happens and it starts to spin let it go.These slide toppers always seem to sag and have seen owners get creative by putting a beach ball between the fabric and top of the room or even pool noodle. IF that does NOT look like yours please let me know, there could be other models Dometic has.... Hope this helps, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, follow ups are included if needed. Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. This is way too much detail for me. I will not try this on my own. I may just wait until I get to Newmar Corp next month and ask them to tighten the cover. Nothing personal, it's just not me.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.
Understand... My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a rating. IF you are not satisfied please let me know. I try to give the best possible direction that I can... Robert