Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My entry steps will not retract.

Customer Question

My entry steps will not retract.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** what I would do, get under the step and locate the motor, disconnect the motor wires and jump 12 volts direct to the motor with a 12 volt battery, if the step does not move swap the jumper wires, the step would want to run in or out and reversing the wires will make it run the opposite direction, if the step does not move bad motor if the step is not catching or bent.IF the step moves jumping power get a 12 volt test light and disconnect the connector to the control box, you will see the control box near the motor, the control box supplies voltage to the motor. IF you have DC voltage going into the control box then that would be at fault.IF you have no voltage going to the control box check all your fuse panels in and outside for a blown fuse.Also sometimes these motors can get moisture in them and tapping them a few times with a hammer might get it going. The motor and control box can be replaced with the step in place. IF you need a new motor or control you might have to replace both depending on the step model. You are probably looking close to 100 each for the motor and control box.Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert