Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Took batteries off 2012 Passport to trickle charge. Put them

Customer Question

Took batteries off 2012 Passport to trickle charge. Put them back on, wired exactly how they were when I took them off. Now electric jack, indoor/outdoor lighting doesn't work.
Have 12.5 volts from pos/neg posts on batteries and 12.5 volts to all ground points on trailer frame
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** me it sounds like maybe you have a breaker tripped, the jacks are normally wired directly to the battery and sometimes they will put a breaker in between the battery, below is a picture. As a general rule they like to stick them 18" from the battery and can be tucked on the frame, if you see any you should have the same voltage on each post to chassis ground. Most have a tiny tab that pops out on the side but some are thermal.I would also verify any fuses you have inside on the main fuse panel are also not blown. Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Follow ups are included as well..... Breaker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 of these breakers, one for the electric hitch jack and one for the trailer brake. The main ground is direct to the trailer hitch frame. I've checked all the ground connections to the frame, they are good. I've not checked to see if I have the same voltage on each post to chassis ground. I've checked all the 12VDC fuses in the main fuse panel, they are all good.
I will have to wait till tomorrow to check that (trailer at storage place). I think mine are thermal (no pop-out tab), bi-metal inside. What if I check the posts to chassis ground and they aren't the same voltage...then what?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK IF you have high voltage on one side and low voltage on the other it is tripped or bad and will need to be reset/ replaced. You should be reading on one side what ever the battery voltage is as one cable should go to the battery from each breaker. Hope that makes sense. IF you still need more help please let me know,I am around daily and respond when I can... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I will check that and get back to you Tuesday.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
sounds good..... Have a good evening... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert