Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 1988 Airex RV on a Ford E350. It will not start. In

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Airex RV on a Ford E350. It will not start. In turns over but won't start. I tried some starter fluid and no luck. I'm sure it's something with the fuel but not sure where to start. Can you help?
Category: RV
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried the fuel cut switch and it is not up. At least I think that is where it is.
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.
How long has it been since this ran? Fuel injected or a carb model?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
About 21/2 months. Fuel injected.
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.
The fuel is going to be stale and you need to flush out the whole system first and fill up again with fresh gas. Hopefully, the tank has a drain. Get back to me once you get that done if you need more help here as all follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My research on this said that a less than a quarter tank of gas sometimes needs to be filled up in order to re pressure the fuel line. Is this true
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.
That may be true, but you have to get the bad gas out of there first.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Back to you after.
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.
10-4
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no drain plug.
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.
The choices are to try and pump it out with the fuel pump or drop the tank. I would try the pump first after you disconnect the fuel line. Get all you can out and add some new fuel and additive to the fuel in the tank and replace all the filters and purge the lines. If the plugs aren't fouled, you should be able to get it fired.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fuel pump doesn't kick on. Not sure how to drain fuel like you say with pump??
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.
I meant the fuel pump............so it may be needing attention as well. Most of the time, you have to drop the tank to clean it out and get to the pump.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm confused. There is a fuel pump on the frame rail, next to a fuel filter. I suspect the fuel pump is defective because I don't hear the pressure build when key is turned on. Not sure how I would use the fuel pump to remove the gas? I read you can buy a hand pump and stick in fill cap and remove that way.
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.
I don't think that will work.........and the main pump should be in the tank. I will be out all day so I will opt out of this and let another tech offer something if they can.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm at work as well. That's ok I will take it from here.