Fix-it.., Commercial Transport Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Class A Motor Home chassis specialist.

I have a 1994 Beaver Marquis motorhome and when I start

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1994 Beaver Marquis motorhome and when I start the diesel Cat. 3176 and it starts fine and runs great, but after I let it idle for about 6-7 minutes and release or leave the air brake on and apply the foot brake, the engine dies. She has been sitting about 2 years. I had the (4) batteries replaced end of last year. I am afraid to try to put it in gear without the foot brake, if the engine dies while in gear, I have to get under the MH and manually put back in neutral. I have started and restarted for about 7 times after letting engine RPM get to 1500 and the engine still dies upon applying the foot brake? I would appreciate any help that you could offer. I am not a Mechanic at all! I have asked a diesel Mechanic to see what he thinks, and he works on 18 wheelers all the time, been in business for over 25 years and he said, Bill I just don't know. Please reply. Thank you, Bill. 4/2/16
Category: RV
Expert:  Fix-it.. replied 6 months ago.
Seems like the engine ecm is loosing key power when that brake is being stepped on. how are you with electrical? we will have to some checks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the response. I am not sure where the ecm is? Not good at all with electrical? Do know how to ck. a battery with, at the moment I can't even call the name of the tester? Ha. Volt meter.. I also can ck. continuity. The brake lights come on at the application of the brakes. As mentioned, I am no Mechanic. Whatever you can pass on I will tell the Mechanic. I am embarrassed that I am not mechanically inclined, but I have been in the polyurethane business for 46 yrs. Just a little smarts? Please tell me all that you can. Thank you again, Bill.
Expert:  Fix-it.. replied 6 months ago.
no problemwould you have your engine serial numberits on the valve cover of the engine