gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Pearl JA: What do you want help with? Customer: I have

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a 1995 Monaco executive and have a couple of issues. On the generator and with the inverter/ converter turned on I get an overload on my display. Also I get a bit of chattering from the transfer switch when the generator is on and some chattering in the panel box too. Not sure if battery charger works with generator but does work with shore power. Is my transfer switch bad on the generator side
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with ABS (as well as brakes in general.) Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: Didn't ask about brakes
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Yes
JA: Glad to hear that. How old is the battery?
Customer: They are new
JA: Anything else I can tell the RV Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
This can be from several things. One of the first things to check is the condition of your house batteries. If those are low on water or about to fail this can cause this. You may have more that one thing in play here. Have the batteries load tested and be sure those AND the cables are up to part. Then if you have a small digital multimeter we can do some testing on the automatic transfer switch and generator output and go from there. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. IF you remove them for that, be sure and take some photos or make a good diagram for the cables and mark them as this is easy to get wrong if you don't. Then get back to me as all follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check on the output and let you know. That may be a day or so
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Not a problem.......Bookmark this and you can come right back to it. In the meantime, have the batteries load tested. Even brand new ones have a pretty high failure rate and if they have any shorted cells it can do some of what you describe. I am here every day.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
RandallI found the source of my issue. At the generator box one of the leads from the breaker switch was loose. Tightened it and checked all other leads. Started the generator to check voltage which checked out on all leads. Battery tested good and now battery charges with generator power and no clicking. Need a refund.Gil
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.
Great! Let Customer Service know........I don't do any of the fincancial end of things.