Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I'm using a friend's 2007 Winnebago Outlook and even while

Customer Question

I'm using a friend's 2007 Winnebago Outlook and even while hooked up to electricity at the campsite....something keeps drawing down the battery. Additionally, the lights flicker....TV shuts down etc. any thoughts? Thanks!
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

SO you are plugged in and all this is happening? Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord you plug in with?

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing extra....just straight in to the camp socket.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The ranger came by last night and checked their electrical box....appears to working on their end
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

OK

When you are plugged into power the power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage so the battery will charge. So to me this sounds like it could be an issue with the converter or you have a loose connection at some point.

It sounds to me if the TV and microwave, outlets are shutting down the AC voltage side could be the issue. Since the power converter needs AC voltage if you had an issue the DC items would fail and the battery would not charge.

It would be very hard to say where the problem is could be the shorecord, the connection at the breaker panel or the converter. IF it has a generator I might run that as well and see what happens, if the generator runs and you have no problems I would be focusing on the shore cord and where it is coming into the RV. IF it has a generator then it has a transfer switch that detects the incoming voltage and switch back and forth, that is where the incoming AC voltage would be going.

The battery should be maintaining and not drawing down when plugged in. Make sure there is not a tripped breaker near the battery as well, sometimes on the charge line from the converter to the battery they will have one inline.

Sorry it takes a few mins to respond and type. Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks! There is a breaker box below the fridge....I checked that last night....looking at it now and nothing appears to be tripped. Same with the box at the campsite
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Right it really sounds like a poor connection with the symptoms you are having, I might try the generator if you are allowed to in the campground and see if the problem goes away if so that tells me it could be the cord or where it is coming into the transfer switch or breaker panel.

Hope this helps some, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just ran the generator and the lights continue to flicker
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

OK

What I would do is check the battery cables really good make sure they are not loose or corroded, IF the battery is in bad condition it would be an issue. If possible I would have it load tested most auto parts stores will do this for free. With it doing the same on generator leads me to believe there is a loose connection in the breaker panel OR the power converter is having an issue.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

HI was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert