Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

My caravan water heater blows the fuse when plugged in, i

Customer Question

hi Pearl
JA: What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my caravan water heater blows the fuse when plugged in
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: i have checked thermal fuse and thats good.cleaned all contacts but problem persists
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: i only just got this caravan so have not seen this water heater working
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Blows the fuse or trips out an AC breaker? On LP gas mode or AC electric mode? Make and model of your water heater would be helpful here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
elena kb6
ac only
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

That usually indicates that the heating element is burned out. Check that with an ohm meter.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
trips is 660 watts. Wouldn't the thermal fuse blow first?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

No thermal fuse on the AC portion.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does have a thermal fuse and i have tested it along with the element and thermostat.they all seem to be ok and so does the cable and plug connectad to heater
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

What about the heating element? I think you may find it is burned out. Ohm it out and see.