Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 1995 Newmar Mountain aire with 6500 onan gas

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Newmar Mountain aire with 6500 onan gas genset. I changed the fuel filter after it wouldn't start but now it runs for about 15-20 mins and shuts down. It also surges while running. After shut down it won't restart until it cools down.
Seems to be getting fuel after shutdown as a strong gas smell out of exhaust.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

This can be caused from several things. Low oil volume, a dirty carb or fuel pump that is failing. If this has been sitting any length of time and you didn't have a fuel stabilizer in the fuel has gone bad and some debris is left. Failing fuel pumps have a run time of about 20 minutes so that is suspect. I have had several lately where that was the cause. Check the oil levle first and be sure it isn't low and then move to the other possible causes. Hope that proves helpful here. Please let me know if you don't have the Service Manual that would help you here. And include your actual model number of this set when you respond. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 12 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need some additional input from me?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
hi,
I haven't had a chance to get to it yet. I ordered a new fuel pump that should be here tomorrow. I'll get started over the weekend.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Bob
Expert:  Randall replied 12 months ago.

10-4