Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I picked up my 2016 phaeton 49 AH in Tennessee and drive to

Customer Question

I picked up my 2016 phaeton 49 AH in Tennessee and drive to Houston a squeaking metallic sound when not on an absolutely smooth road squeaks as RV moves up and down somewhere under driver. Freightliner checked out suspension and said it was okay although the front end mech did not test drive.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Well a test drive is certainly needed to pin down the problem. I have had units like this and it takes many test drives with a DB meter to see where the noise is coming from. IF it is a metallic sound what you could do is get some silicone spray and spray down any areas that might be rubbing or you feel are causing the problem, many times the noise might go away or change in sound. It would be impossible to say where the noise is coming from, noise can travel and be a bit deceiving, sometimes the dash area can also make noise that can be hard to pin-down. I would have another shop take a look and make sure they go on a test drive, really hard to believe they would not do that. Since this is under Warranty I also might get Tiffin involved so they can document the issue.

Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it s the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is definitely below the floor. I had my wife lay on the floor and listen while going down the highway. Have you heard of generator exhaust pipe making squeaking noises (this from Freightliner hot line last night).
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Yes I have seen that before where the generator exhaust or the actual generator rubs on the enclosure. I think what I would do is have a RV shop that is an Authorized Tiffin dealer take a look at this and have them go on a test drive with you so there is no confusion on what you are hearing. Being a 2016 these types of issues are normally covered under warranty so you want to have it documented in case you go out of the year warranty and still are having issues. Many times for ongoing issues they will extend that year warranty. It very well could be the generator but hard for me to say for sure without looking and driving the unit.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer was helpful?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert