Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My 2009 34 foot weekend warrior was plugged into my truck

Customer Question

My 2009 34 foot weekend warrior was plugged into my truck last night. When giving a tour to one of my friends, we turned on several lights and the water pump was on, when I turned on the final light to the bedroom, everything went dark. No I have no power to anything except the running lights when plugged into my truck. Where should I start?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The outside running lights seem to work. The power jack and everything else is dead. It seems like we tripped something when we turned on the bedroom light but not sure where to begin looking. There is a breaker box under the convection microwave but I believe that is just for the appliances. Is there a main breaker that would allow power from the truck to the RV?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — RV Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Sounds like the batteries need some attention first..........and then check the shortstop breaker near them to see if that tripped as that will cut off the power to all the rest of the system. I am attaching a link to one so you can see what they look like. Most are manual reset and that black button on the end has to be pushed in. If you overload the system, that trips out just like blowing a fuse. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit. http://www.surplus-electronics-sales.com/images/medium/122-1012%20Short%20Stop%2028V%2030A%20CB%20sm_MED.jpg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I located the device that looks like your picture next to the two batteries and fuse box but I could not find a reset button
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

It would be on the end. Some are auto reset and those are usually silver colored. If you have a 12 VDC test light you can see if there is power there getting through it. And if the batteries are over 3 years old OR have been boiled dry and have little water they may need replacing.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Or jumper around that and see if power is restored.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

IF the reverse polarity fuses in the converter are blown you won't have power either...........usually two 30 or 40 amp blade fuses.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have tested the batteries and they are dead. Do the batteries not charge when connected to the truck?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assumed that if the trailer is plugged into the truck that it would draw from the truck whether or not the batteries or dead or not. Is this wrong and must the batteries be in good condition for any power to go to the trailer
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

The lead from the truck goes right to the batteries. If you were pulling too much amperage from the truck and the batteries were bad or all the way discharged, that shortstop breaker acts as a fuse.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One of the 30 amp fuses is completely melted
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Hopefully, that is all that went wrong. Replace it and see.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

And have the batteries load tested to be sure they are good..........they may not take a charge.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got a guy here and the batteries will not take a charge. Will replace both batteries and the fuse and hopefully this works
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Use the largest ones you have room for.............golf cart batteries are the best in series and then two 27 series 12 VDC batteries in parallel would be next best. Slide rooms take a lot of power.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you got this resolved or do you still need some additional input from me?