Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My Norcold 1200 series RV refrigerator will not get cold in

Customer Question

My Norcold 1200 series RV refrigerator will not get cold in the food storage area and the icemaker will not fill the trays!
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

This could be a few things, it could be a cooling unit issue or the thermistor or a fan issue. When the fridge is running you should hear the fans kicking on after some time. IF the fans are coming on then I would next test the thermistor, click HERE and see page 19 if you do not have a volt meter you can unplug that connector and the box should default to full cooling. It is designed like that so the food does not spoil. IF it still does not cool or the thermistor checks out good you could have an issue with the cooling unit. The freezer will always get cold long before the box, so it is possible to have an issue with the cooling unit even though the freezer is getting cold. Feel the back of the absorber coils, they should feel warm from top to bottom, any cool spots or hot spots would be a concern. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might see some symptoms such as a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge, a gurgle noise when you turn it on or smell ammonia. For a blockage you might not show any symptoms at all but no cooling in the box on AC and LP.... If it cools on one source and not the other then not a cooling unit issue. I would unplug the thermistor and see if it defaults to full cooling, is so it will need to be replaced.

The ice maker will have a solenoid valve that opens up and sends water to the icemaker, if that solenoid failed then the ice maker would not get water see section 10 of the manual it should help diagnose that part...

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped.

Also wanted to mention I helped another owner this weekend with the same symptom with no cooling in the box and we discovered his fans were not coming on due to a fault thermostatic switch. So make sure the fans are coming on. It was also A Norcold 1210.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer was helpful?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert