Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

95 sunrise again. I have the battery warning light ON. The

Customer Question

Hi Robert,
95 sunrise again.
I have the battery warning light ON. The battery charge meter on dashboard has quite quickly dropped from normal to +- 10, now maybe 9.I am guessing "brush" problem on alternator?
Any other ideas?How to get this fixed quickly in the FRESNO area? (California)
Any ideas/contacts on that?
Thanks Anders
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Yes it sounds like the alternator, make sure the belt did not come off or is loose as well, check the cables from the alternator to the battery and make sure they are not corroded or resting on the frame or you can have voltage loss.

As far as the battery and alternator, most any auto parts store can bench test the alternator and load test the battery to see if they are bad. Places like Auto Zone and Napa etc should have that ability. The challenge is it is Easter weekend and not sure who is going to be open but that is what I would try have an auto parts store test the alternator and battery and go from there....

Hope this helps some.... Robert

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I drive one hour to get to civilization?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's starts, I will need lights though.
What uses the battery while driving?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Not so sure on that as 9 volts everything will start to shut down on you, the best chance is to change the battery or have it charged maybe carry a spare one as well, the headlights are going to draw some major amps and suck that down fast if the alternator is not charging....

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi again, was just checking in to see if you needed more help on this?