Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I currently have the power hooked up to my truck power. I

Customer Question

i currently have the power hooked up to my truck power. I cannot hook up to any other external source...i guess i could run off the battery but i don't know how to do that????
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The RV Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the propane is on so i have heat and electric running the radio and lights. i have no power to the microwave or outlets
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes....it is something simple
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i've looked at all the breaker panel to see if there is a blown breaker and all the GFIs are reset and now poked out
JA: Is there anything else important you think the RV Mechanic should know about your RV?
Customer: it is brand new...first time using it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

DO you have a volt meter? IF you have 12 volts at the battery you should have have DC voltage inside but will NOT have AC power, AC power would be the AC outlets, microwave TV etc. The only way you would be able to have AC power NOT plugged in is if you had an inverter.

Running the truck to charge the batteries also may not be enough to keep up with the demand you are using. As you turn on the lights and other items the battery voltage will drop down so you will be very limited on how much and how long you can use the DC items. The truck charge is not like the converter when you plug in, it is more of a tirckel charge to maintain the batteries as you are driving. I would say under normally conditions with using a few lights and the LP furnace the batteries would last for 8 to 12 hours depending on the condition they are in and how many batteries you have. The more batteries that are hooked up the bigger bank you can pull from.

IF you have 12 volts DC at the batteries and nothing is working inside then please let me know, if the battery voltage is under 10.5 volts the batteries will have to be charged up.... Hope this helps some.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How or where do I check the voltage meter
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

You need a volt meter and once you have a volt meter go to the battery and check the battery voltage it should be 12 volts, it is something you will need to get from an auto parts store. IF the voltage is good look for a disconnect switch near the battery OR inside near the entry step. Some RVs have a battery disconnect switch and it needs to be turned on. Some it is a switch near the battery OR inside near the entry door. OF course if you have under 10.5 volts the lights will start to dim and you will need to plug in to charge the battery.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

HI was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert