Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a 1998 Jayco Eagle pop-up camper with a metal roof. I

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Jayco Eagle pop-up camper with a metal roof. I haven’t used it for several years for two reasons. One, the roof started to leak. I had it, supposedly, repaired but it still leaks. (The roof also has an after-market bike rack on it, but no ac unit. I would remove the bike rack if I knew this would solve the problem.) I have also tried to determine where it leaks but nothing has helped. On the internet I see there is epdm rubber roofing you can get and epdm liquid coating that can be applied. What would you recommend I do to fix the roof? The other reason I don’t use it is that my daughter hit a tree with the truck I towed it with. (She was fine.) I now have a 2001 v-6 3.0L Ford Escape that I can use to pull it with but it is a lot lighter vehicle than my previous vehicle was. I don’t plan to take the camper more than 200 miles at a time. Do you think the Escape will be adequate to pull the camper?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

I am working on the tow vehicle part will respond shortly.... Have to look up the weight capacities.

Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

So I am showing three models of the Eagle 10 the one that weighs the most is 1,770 lbs, dry weight. The 2001 V-6 3.0L can handle 3500 lbs so you should be set on that end.

As far as the leak they can be hard to track down, you can use the liquid roof on metal but you would want to pull everything off, if you do not use the bike rack I would remove and seal over the holes with the coating. Make sure the roof is very clean and any rusted areas are wired brushed prior to putting on the liquid roof. When you apply make sure it is at least 60F and it has time to dry at least a full day.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped?

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert