Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 1999 safari 40 ft coach ... driving roughly about

Customer Question

I have a 1999 safari 40 ft coach ... driving roughly about six miles all brakes start locking up its a hydralic brake system
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: released bleader from caliper and all brakes released. fluid was burning hot
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: no shop wants to touch it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the RV Mechanic should know about your RV?
Customer: bleeded entire system with no changes
JA: Our top RV Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the RV Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the RV Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

HI my name is Robert..

What is the model of the Safari? There was a recall out that could be the issue on this but need to know the model so I can give you the details of the problem.... Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Continental 4006
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

OK

Let me check.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

OK

Sorry about that I had to check two different sources as they had Safari and Safari "coach" I almost did not look at both and was scratching my head as it sounds like to me the recall has something to do with this. I would have a shop take a look, a good chassis shop should be able to confirm below are the details....

Manufacturer: MONACO COACH CORP.

SUMMARY:

ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES, THE BRAKE ASSEMBLIES EXHIBIT ELEVATED TEMPERATURES THAT CAN LEAD TO CATASTROPHIC DETERIORATION OF THE WHEEL END COMPONENTS SUCH AS BEARINGS, RACES, SPINDLES, KNUCKLES, SEALS, HUBS, ROTORS, PATCH BOLTS, CALIPERS, BRAKE PADS, AND ABS SENSORS.

CONSEQUENCE:

THIS COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF CONTROL, AND/OR THE POTENTIAL FOR A FIRE.

REMEDY:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FRONT AND REAR BRAKE CALIPERS FOR CORROSION AND REPLACE OR REBUILD THE CALIPERS AS NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 18, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MONACO AT 1-***-***-****.

NOTES:

MONACO RECALL NO. R02175. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-***-***-****).

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Found another recall as well....

Manufacturer: SAFARI MOTOR COACHES, INC.

SUMMARY:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: 1999 AND 2000 MOTOR HOMES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 2 AND NOVEMBER 20, 1999, AND EQUIPPED WITH ABS SYSTEMS WITH BRAKE WIRING HARNESS PART #2505168. THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR WHICH CONNECTS TO THE MODULATOR WAS MIS-WIRED CAUSING THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKE MODULATOR TO REACT IMPROPERLY WHILE REGULATING HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TO THE APPROPRIATE WHEEL.

CONSEQUENCE:

FAILURE OF THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM COULD CAUSE A LOSS OF CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE IN CERTAIN BRAKING SITUATIONS.

REMEDY:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL A WIRING HARNESS UPDATE, WHICH PROPERLY ROUTES THE ELECTRICAL SIGNAL FROM THE ECU TO THE MODULATOR. 7OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN JULY 13, 2000. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT SAFARI/BEAVER/HARNEY AT 1-***-***-****.

NOTES:

SMC RECALL NO. SBA00-104. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-***-***-****).

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

And one more.... These should be checked out.....

SUMMARY:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTOR HOMES EQUIPPED WITH MERITOR WABCO PHASE 1, D-VERSION ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS), FAIL TO COMPLY TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FMVSS NO. 105, "HYDRAULIC AND ELECTRIC BRAKE SYSTEMS." AN INTERNAL DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM IN THE ABS MAY NOT DETECT AN EXTREME WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AIR GAP. SUCH A CONDITION COULD POSSIBLY OCCUR DURING (1) ORIGINAL ASSEMBLY OR (2) SUBSEQUENT WHEEL END SERVICE.

CONSEQUENCE:

THIS COULD DISABLE THE ANTI-LOCK FUNCTION ON THE AFFECTED WHEEL WITHOUT PROVIDING THE REQUIRED OPERATOR WARNING THAT THE ABS FUNCTION REQUIRES SERVICING.

REMEDY:

THE ABS ECU WILL BE REMOVED AND REPLACED ON THESE MOTOR HOMES. MERITOR IS CONDUCTING THE OWNER NOTIFICATION AND REMEDY SCHEDULING FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL/MAY 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT MERITOR WABCO AT 1-***-***-****.

NOTES:

ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-***-***-****).

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

I am not sure you would get any warranty help from Monaco but this would definitely be something to being up to a shop they should have the ability to check the recalls and see if the issue is part of the problem.....

Hope this helps some, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped?

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert