Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Hank... I am having an issue with a 15 amp breaker in my

Customer Question

Hi Hank... I am having an issue with a 15 amp breaker in my motorhome... When the generator is running the breaker trips for no known reason and won't stay on (passenger side recept.), yet works fine when on shore power. I'm baffled.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Passenger side receptacles won't work when it trips (only on generator power). It is a gfci breaker.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — RV Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Did this just start or has it been doing this all along? What is the make and model of your genset? Get back to me with this information and I can assist you further here.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

I would also measure the actual AC voltage output from the genset to be sure it isn't too low. Low voltage causes the amperage to spike and trip out breakers. Try disconnecting any loads on that circuit as well and see if this happens. If it continues, there may be some feedback into the ground lead that is causing this. Get a small digital multimeter and you can check this pretty quickly. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use and I can direct you in some testing. Hope this proves helpful here. All follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this or do you still need some additional input from me?